Monday, September 21, 2009

Life Lessons

A week from today, I should be off my boot and onto a brace. I cannot tell you how excited I am! A week ago, I honestly didn't know if I can get off my crutches. I just kept praying, asking God to give me strength for each new day. You know what? He did give me strength and I can do things this week that I couldn't do last week. I can do today what I couldn't yesterday.

I have been reading the book of Joshua and I kept telling myself that the same God who parted the Red Sea and the Jordan River is the same God whom I serve. If He can do that, surely He can heal my ankle. All He requires is that I trust Him, have faith and start acting on what His word says.

A few weeks ago, I was reading about and listening to Joni Eareckson Tada. In 1967, Joni had a terrible diving accident which left her permanently paralyzed, unable to use her hands and legs. However, she didn't let that stop her from living her life the way that God intended for her. She persevered, despite the difficult challenges she faced. Now, she has written more than 30 books and founded Joni and Friends, a ministry which helps families with disabilities. How inspirational!

When I read about people like Joni, I realize that the things I face are n-o-t-h-i-n-g compared to all that she has gone through. I may lose sight of this now and then but it's always good to keep things in perspective.

Right now, my ankle and foot are still weak because they have not gotten much use. They feel lifeless. However, even though it feels weird to walk and hurts to walk, I have to keep pressing through. The more I walk, the stronger my ankle and foot will become. Isn't that exactly how our walk with the Lord is? This is a lesson I am having to learn and re-learn in life. I am so glad that God is patient with me. Despite all my shortcomings, He loves me enough to never give up on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment