Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Doctor's appointment

Yesterday, I had my 6 week follow up appointment with my orthopedist. We got there at 3:40 pm and left at 5:30 pm...not too bad. I met a few cool people, in the elevator and in the waiting room. You must understand that I have missed being around people. My day consists of reading, spending dangerous amounts of time on my computer, working, walking to the bathroom, walking to the living room, walking back to the bathroom and being on the phone. So, when I see people, I get a tad bit excited.

Here we were sitting in the waiting room and I look at my husband and say...look honey, there are people everywhere...how exciting! He goes, Priya, we don't even know any of them. I go, yes honey, but they are HUMAN BEINGS like me! This one older gentleman struck up a conversation with me telling me how he once broke his ankle "when an 800 pound heifer decided to dance and step on me"....his words, not mine. Haha...man, I love people!

After 20 minutes, the nurse called us in and took us to a room. I removed my boot and had x-rays done. Then, the PA walks in and tells me my x-rays look great, and even though they can still see the fracture line, my leg is healing just fine. She then told me that I may need physical therapy. I was hesitant to believe her because the last 2 times, she gave me the exact opposite diagnosis of the doctor's.

This time however, she was right on the money! The doc came in and checked out my ankle...not exactly a pretty sight. He asked me if I started to put a little weight on it. I said yes, I have. Then my sweet husband goes, "no doctor, she still just hops on one foot." I looked at him like, seriously, I did not just hear you say that. He sat there, grinning ear to ear.

Anyway, the doc told me that I can be off my crutches in 1 week, off my boot in 2 weeks and onto a brace the 3rd week. Yay! Then, we checked out and I got fitted for a brace that I can wear under my tennis shoes.

Now, I just have to learn to wean myself off the crutches. The other thing is, I need to learn to walk heel to toe in my boot, without the crutches. This is challenging because since I was a kid, I've been walking toe to heel. The boot is angled in such a way that if I were to walk toe to heel, I will end up flat on my face.

This is where giving up control and trusting in the Lord comes in. I have to put one foot in front of the other (literally) and trust that the Lord will help me.


p.s. I said I was going to do a post on Costco but that will just have to wait for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment