Friday, September 11, 2009

In Remembrance

Do you remember where you were and what you were doing on September 11, 2001? The events of that day are forever etched in my mind.

I woke up that morning, turned on the news and watched journalists reporting on the plane that hit the World Trade Center. In fact, I maybe watched the news for all of 2 minutes while getting ready to go to a class at UTD. I turned the TV off, thinking it was some amateur who flew a plane and hit the WTC by accident. Little did I know that this was an unthinkable evil plan set into motion by a large group of terrorists.

When I got to class and heard all the students talking about this news, I realized that this wasn't some bizarre accident. I rushed to my friend Cat's apartment and we sat and watched the events of the day unfold right before our eyes.

Then, I remember hearing the name Osama Bin Laden for the first time. My heart was gripped as I saw reports of people jumping out of buildings. Firetrucks were everywhere and people were covered in soot from head to feet. My mind couldn't even fathom or comprehend what was happening.

Can you believe it has been 8 years since those horrible events? Over the years, I've often thought of Lisa Beamer and Lyz Glick, wives of Todd Beamer and Jeremy Glick, true American heroes. Both Todd and Jeremy lost their lives trying to take down the hijackers of United Airlines flight 93.

Today, I remember Lisa, Lyz and every single person who lost their loved one on 9/11/01. I know that words cannot explain the depth of their loss. I pray that they will find comfort and strength in the Lord each day, especially today.

May God bless each family affected by 9/11/01. May God bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment