Monday, October 26, 2009

Husband's birthday post...a.k.a...a post about food!

My sweetheart's birthday was on Monday, October 19th. We had a wonderful weekend celebration. My parents and brother came on Friday, October 16th. We spent the whole weekend together and it was glorious! For lunch on Saturday, we all went to a wonderful Greek place called Niko Niko's. Then, we had my husband's birthday dinner at home on Saturday. We all went to church on Sunday and my parents took us out to Cheesecake Factory, again, for my husband's birthday. I know everything sounds like it revolves around food in Houston...well, it does. That's what Houston is famous for...good food. ;)

On Monday, I took my sweetie to Fogo De Chao. If you've never been, it's a Brazilian Churrascaria. At close to $50 a head, you want to make sure you go on an empty stomach. As soon as they seat you, they bring out piping hot cheese popovers, crispy polenta, fried plantains and mashed potatoes to your table. Then, you help yourself to their beautiful salad bar, full of fresh veggies and cheese. They have asparagus, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, smoked salmon, rice and beans, swiss cheese, parmesan cheese, tabouli, etc. Each person is given a coaster which is red on one side and green on the other. If you want meat, you turn it to the green side. If you're done having meat or want to have a break, you turn it to the red side.

When it's green, gaucho chefs come to your table and give you your choice of meat. They have filet mignon, rack of lamb, garlic beef, leg of lamb, chicken legs, sausage, parmesan pork, ribs, and much more. The assault of meat in your face is quite unforgettable. Our personal favorite was the rack of lamb. We would go back just for that. They also give you a complementary dessert if it's your birthday. We chose their papaya cream....highly recommend it! However, I just don't see how people dine there so frequently. After we ate, my husband goes, ok, no more red meat for the next month! Haha!

The funniest part of the night was meeting and talking to our server. He was a very animated man and you can tell he loves living life! This past year, he dropped a whopping 50 pounds! He did this by running 12 miles a week and get this....cutting out red meat and alcohol! How's that for irony?! I figured, if he dropped so much weight, in spite of working at Fogo, anybody can!

Oh, and if you want to know about what I ended up giving my husband, it was the practical gift of cash. :) After shopping for days, I just decided to give him cash....on one condition. That he spends it on HIMSELF. Not on me, not on groceries, not on fixing the car...but on himself.

I hope he had a wonderful weekend. Honey, I love you more than you will ever know. I am so blessed to be married to you!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful birthday! I saw a picture of your dad and brother on Micah's FB and it was so much fun to see them again! : )
    Love and hugs,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete