Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Farmer's Market Association

On Saturday, I went to the Farmer's Market with some friends. I've been wanting to go for some time now but could never wake up early enough on Saturday mornings to go. Folks have told me that if you're going to the farmer's market, go early because that's when they have the best produce. Also, many farmer's markets close by Noon. Well, I found one in Houston that's open until 5 p.m. on Saturdays...and I didn't get there until Noon!

It's called the Farmer's Market Association. It's an open air farmer's market with lots of different vendors. They had tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, chilies, cactus, bananas, apples, oranges, guavas, pomegranate, peaches, peas, cucumber, squash, pumpkin, zucchini, green beans, methi leaves, cilantro, yuca, sweet potatoes, red potatoes, peanuts, cinnamon, and so much more! Plus, you can bargain! It's every Indian's dream. ;)

Here are some pictures I took just for you. :) The sights and smells reminded me of the open markets in India. It was an exhilarating, nostalgic experience.


I had to take this picture. It reminded me of Jack Fruit in India. ;)


Fruits and veggies galore!


These tomatoes have my name written all over them!


Reminded me of the mini bananas in India.


I wish I bought the cabbage...my husband loves them!



I had a $20 bill and thought...man, I wish I had more cash on me. You will be AMAZED how much $20 in a farmer's market will get you! I got some peppers, cactus (yeah, I know..cool, right?), potatoes, apples, oranges, cliantro, methi leaves, avocados, tomatillos and limes. Guess how much I spent?? LESS than $10!! When I came home, I told my husband that we're going to go vegetarian this week! ;) (We better, especially after the meat fest at Fogo last week).


I also told him that I can't wait to go back! He said...sweetheart, we can go every week if you'd like...sweet man. I'm sure he was thinking...imagine how much we can save on our grocery bill! ;)
p.s. Stay tuned for my next post...I'll show you what I did with the cactus.




2 comments:

  1. What fun! Do tell us about the cactus! : )
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wrote the cactus post...just for you Ms. Becky. ;) Love you!

    ReplyDelete